IoT Provides both Opportunities and Risks
The Internet of Things (IoT) holds the potential for rapid innovation. When combined with machine learning and artificial intelligence, IoT creates a vast opportunity for innovators, with either positive or negative intentions. When rolling out these technologies, often speed to market wins the race against quality. This can pose a significant challenge for IT Auditors.
While there are many upsides to IoT technology, Auditors need to focus on the potential risks IoT devices pose: system vulnerabilities that can be easily hacked, privacy breaches that may result, and potential health and safety risks impacting end users.
ISACA has a number of articles and resources to help auditors prepare for IoT and the opportunities and pitfalls this technology provides:
- The Practical Aspect: Why Worry About IoT?
- Assessing IoT White paper
- IS Audit Basics: Auditing the IoT
- An IoT Control Audit Methodology (Vol. 6, 2017)
- Internet of Transformation: What Does IoT Mean for Your J-O-B?
- Managing the Risk of IoT: Regulations, Frameworks, Security, Risk and Analytics
- Using Darknet Concepts for IoT Security: Tor of Things
- IoT Needs Better Security